The Milwaukee Rescue Mission — including Joy House, Safe Harbor and Cross Trainers Academy — is committed to maintaining the highest standards in our ministry. Please read the following guidelines carefully before contacting us about volunteering. You must agree to these terms to be considered as a volunteer.
COVID-19 safety measures
As we continue to navigate COVID-19, we’re asking volunteers to work with us to help protect the health of our guests, staff and volunteers. For the foreseeable future, volunteers will be required to:
- Be free of any COVID-19 symptoms when coming to volunteer
- Refrain from volunteering if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in contact with a person with a confirmed case of COVID-19 within the past 14 days
- Refrain from volunteering if you or someone in your household is at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19
- Have your temperature checked with a digital forehead thermometer and answer a brief health questionnaire before signing in
- Use gloves when required and wash your hands following CDC guidelines before, during and after your shift
- Maintain 6 feet of distance from others when possible
- Complete a COVID-19 Volunteer Waiver
Please note: per the City of Milwaukee Health Department's Phase 3 orders, masks are encouraged but not required for volunteering. If you do not bring a mask, we will provide one for you.
Safety and security
For the safety and security of our program participants and volunteers, it is important that you understand and abide by the following standards:
- Remain in your assigned area. When necessary, a staff member will escort you through any locked areas.
- ONLY answer the phone or open doors for anyone when instructed to do so by a staff member.
- Contact a staff member immediately if a program participant becomes difficult or makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Refrain from giving gifts, money, transportation, and personal phone numbers to residents, their children and those participating in MRM programs. These actions are PROHIBITED here at the MRM for the protection of our clients and volunteers.
- Taking pictures and video of the MRM facility is permitted. We ask visitors to respect the privacy of our guests by only taking their pictures or video with the permission of the MRM supervisor on duty as well as the guest. Photos and videos are to be used for personal use only, not publication (in print or online).
Working with youth
- There shall be NO inappropriate touching of youth. This includes, but is not limited to, prolonged hugs, excessive horseplay, piggyback rides, kissing, etc. Volunteers should be sensitive to the need to keep their interaction with youth beyond any question of impropriety. Appropriate touch includes a pat on the back, shoulders, or head, a handshake, high-five and side hugs within the sight of others.
- For the protection of program participants and volunteers, MRM volunteers may NEVER organize an outing, or have contact with a program participant outside of any MRM program. At NO time may the volunteer tell the parent or child that he/she represents the Milwaukee Rescue Mission.
- MRM volunteers should never be alone with a child. Volunteers should work with children in an area supervised by a staff member.
- Only a child’s mother, guardian or staff is allowed to take a child to the bathroom.
Violation of these principles and policies will be taken very seriously and may disqualify you from participating as a volunteer in programs at the Milwaukee Rescue Mission.
Once you’ve read about the various opportunities and agreed to adhere to our volunteer guidelines, please complete our application. Once you’ve done so, we’ll contact you as soon as possible to help you find your fit.
If you are under 18, you must also have your parent or guardian sign the Parental Consent Form, and email it to us at email@example.com before your application can be considered complete. Please note that volunteer opportunities for unaccompanied minors are very limited.